In 1994 upon the decision of allocation of the province of the Red Sea, Shalateen research station was established.
- The station is located in the Shalateen town, its area is about 1000 m2.
- Till now the station is still under construction and development.
The station main tasks are to contribute the development of comprehensive and integrated areas of Halaib and Shalateen.
Examples for the scientific activities of the station:
- Environmental and biological diversity studies in on inventory and classification of plant and animal genetic resources in the targeted areas Halaib - Shalateen - Abo Ramad and provide a clear picture of the biological diversity of natural habitats in these areas.
- Development of rainfed agriculture and grasslands in order to disseminate among the Bedouins and the development of pastoral and forage resources to cover the food and feed needs of the residents and their animals.
- Development of livestock by introducing integrated models for both development and application in the fields of animal production.
- Conduct studies on human development and population economic activities and anthropological studies on the population distribution and migration to and from these areas.