This Center is considered the largest and most prominent projects in the field of integrated development in rainfed areas, which cover more than 15,000 square kilometers along the northwestern coast of Egypt from Fuka in Ras El Hekma east to Sallum west and a depth of 40-70 km south in addition to Siwa oasis.
Objectives of the center
- Improve the standard of living and conserve natural resources from deterioration.
- Achieve water security by preserving the stock of rain water and using it in human , animal drinking and in agriculture, through the establishment of wells and encourage citizens to maintain the means of rainwater harvesting.
- Maximize the efficient use of rain water in cultivated lands by the establishment of stone ,dust and cement dams to reduce the runoff and losing water to the sea and reduce soil erosion.
- Publicize methods to lessen the use of water in order to expand the areas of vegetables, medicinal and aromatic plants and the production of seedlings locally.
- Encourage the community to participate in improving the situation of vegetation and the improved management of grassland in order to provide forage for livestock and protect the environment from desertification.
- Help citizens in planning and developing the valleys to add new areas of land to soils suitable for agriculture.
- Produce and publicize new technologies suitable for rain-fed farming systems to maximize the output of agricultural production.
- Activation of agro-processing and marketing operations to achieve an added value of agricultural production.